Sunday, January 29, 2006

What's three months between friends?

Hey there. I'm Divy. I have a knitting blog. No, really.

*sigh*

Well, it was a very long, tiring holiday season, and that is my only excuse for not updating. I had two baby birthday parties, so I'm now the mom of a 1 and 3 year old, which kind of boggles my mind.

But it's not like I didn't get anything done. I did finish my hoodie. So long ago, in fact, that it's already starting to pill and look lovely-worn.

Image hosting by Photobucket

And, well, that's pretty much all I've accomplished until today. No, wait, that's not true. I made two "Miss Dashwood" hats with beautiful cashmerino in a deep red colour. I am absolutely in love with that yarn. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of either hat before I gave them to their respective babies. One baby lives down the street from me, so I may be able to sneak a picture soon, if the little darling doesn't outgrow it.

So where was I? Oh yes, today. Today was the day of totally accidental craftiness. I finally hauled out my sewing machine, hoping to hem a couple of pairs of cords. Then, I realised my cords were all in the washer. Since hemming wet corduroy didn't sound like much of a laugh, I decided to sew up a bag for my yoga mat.

What? Yes, I said sew. What, a girl can't be multi-craftalented?

I was totally intending to knit one. I got Stitch 'N' Bitch Nation out of the library and everything. Then last week, before my yoga class, I was looking for a short-term carrying solution, and I found this gorgeous silk scarf that my mom had given me a few years ago. It had belonged to my grandpa, who was a bandleader, and owned some pretty funky and flamboyant clothes. It was already stitched into a tube, and it fit my mat pretty much perfectly. So I did a little hemming, put in a ribbon for a drawstring, sewed a circle on the bottom, added a strap, made of another wayward scarf, and I made a yoga mat bag. Yay me! I even had enough left to make myself an eye pillow (with lavender, yum).

Image hosting by Photobucket

I think I might like sewing now. Something about the nearly-instant gratification. Though it certainly isn't as relaxing as knitting. Or yoga. Or baking. Mmmm, I have to go stuff myself with chocolate-cherry-almond rugelach now.


1 comment:

Ron Lawson said...

yoga Do you know that in studying psychology anyone who is acquainted with the Sanskrit tongue must know how valuable that language is for precise and scientific dealing with the subject. The Sanskrit, or the well-made, the constructed, the built-together, tongue, is one that lends itself better than any other to the elucidation of psychological difficulties. Need more information? Visit yoga class